Although only a few years affiliated, the UVU PRSSA Chapter is well established and has gained local, state and national attention for its achievements.
National PRSSA Awards
Sponsored by the Champions of PRSSA, the Dr. F.H. Teahan Chapter Awards are the nation’s premier PRSSA Awards. The UVU PRSSA Chapter has been placed in the national spotlight by receiving the following awards out of 330+ universities.
- 2016 Outstanding Chapter in the Nation Award
- 2014 Outstanding Website in the Nation Award
- 2014 Outstanding University Service Project in the Nation Award
- 2013 Outstanding Chapter in the Nation Award
- 2012 Outstanding Faculty adviser in the Nation Award
National Star Chapter Awards
The PRSSA Star Chapter Award is a singular distinction that only a few of the 330+ PRSSA Chapters receive each year. The UVU PRSSA Chapter has received the prestigious Star Chapter Award each year since the the UVU PRSSA Chapter was organized.
- 2016 National Star Chapter Award
- 2015 National Star Chapter Award
- 2014 National Star Chapter Award
- 2013 National Star Chapter Award
- 2012 National Star Chapter Award
- 2011 National Star Chapter Award
- 2010 National Star Chapter Award
National Bateman Case Study Competition Awards
The Bateman Case Study Competition is PRSSA’s premier national case study competition for public relations students. It gives PR students the opportunity to apply classroom education and internship experiences to create and implement a full public relations campaign. UVU PRSSA students have been recognized nationally for their outstanding real-world campaigns.
- Honorable Mention Award 2014: Fiserv Financial, A New Way To Pay
- Honorable Mention Award 2014: Fiserv Financial, IOUtah
- Honorable Mention Award 2013: Be Cool, Not Cruel campaign on raising awareness and prevention of bullying.
- Honorable Mention Award 2013: Pick on This campaign on raising awareness and prevention of bullying.
- Honorable Mention Award 2012: General Mills and United Way Worldwide, for the Jump Into Motion Campaign
- Honorable Mention Award 2011: Ally Financial, Knowledge is Money Campaign
- Honorable Mention Award 2011: Ally Financial, for the Own Your Finances Campaign
- Honorable Mention Award 2010: 2010 – U.S. Census Bureau
Utah Golden Spike Awards
Utah’s Golden Spike Awards recognizes the PR industry’s most outstanding communication campaigns and tactics. Sponsored by the Greater Salt Lake PRSA and Utah Valley PRSA Chapters, the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) Utah Chapter, and the Utah Society for Healthcare Communication and Marketing (USHCAM), UVU PRSSA students have competed head-to-head with industry professionals and have been recognized for their outstanding work—even beating out the work of industry professionals.
- Golden Spike Award 2014: Best Public Relations Campaign Marketing: IOUtah
- Golden Spike Award 2014: Best Social Media Campaign: A New Way To Pay
- Golden Spike Award 2014: Best Social Media Tactic: A Utah Valley Bachelor
- Golden Spike Award 2013: Best of Show for Pick On This, Make A Change: Anti-bullying campaign
- Golden Spike Awards 2013: Public Service/Advocacy Government, Nonprofit Organizations for Be Cool, Not Cruel Anti-bullying campaign
- Golden Spike Awards 2013: Best Public Relations Tactic for Be Cool, Not Cruel Press Conference for Orem City – declaration of February as the Be Cool, Not Cruel anti-bully awareness month.
- Golden Spike Awards 2013: Best Public Relations Campaign Marketing for Pick On This, Make A Change: Anti-bullying campaign.
- Golden Spike Award 2012: Public Service/Advocacy Government, Nonprofit Organizations. For the Move Your Beehind Campaign – raising awareness and helping prevent childhood obesity in Utah.
Hermes Creative Awards is an international competition for creative professionals involved in the concept, writing, and design of traditional materials and programs, and emerging technologies. UVU PR students have been recognized for their outstanding work.
- Hermes Creative Awards 2014: Gold Winner – Public Relations Campaign – A New Way To Pay
- Hermes Creative Awards 2014: Gold Winner – Pro Bono Public Relations Work – A New Way To Pay, A Utah Valley Bachelor YouTube video series.
- Hermes Creative Awards 2014: Honorable Mention – Public Relations Campaign – IOUtah
- Hermes Creative Awards 2013: Platinum Winner- Outstanding Public Relations Campaign - Be Cool, Not Cruel campaign on raising awareness and prevention of bullying.
- Hermes Creative Awards 2013: Platinum Winner- Pro Bono Work – Be Cool, Not Cruel Press Conference for Orem City – declaration of February as the Be Cool, Not Cruel anti-bully awareness month.
Each year the UVU PRSSA Chapter, in consultation with the UVU PR faculty and academic advisers, presents annual awards in the following categories
Outstanding PR Student of the Year
Awarded to the student who has demonstrated outstanding passion and commitment to the advancement of Public Relations demonstrated through both academic achievements as well as extracurricular efforts.
- 2011: Nathaniel Gray
- 2012: Sarah Griener
- 2013: Chris Bailey
- 2014: McKenzie Haggard
- 2015: Reagan Nickl
- 2016: Jon Kovach
- 2017: Britnee Bromley-Nuehring
PRSSA Inspiring Newcomer of the Year
Awarded to a Sophomore or Junior PRSSA member who inspires excellence and strives to advance the goals of the UVU PRSSA chapter.
- 2011: Henry Cervera
- 2012: Stephanie Valesco
- 2013: Wing Kai La
- 2014: Taylor Williams
- 2015: Jon Kovach
- 2016: Britnee Bromley-Nuehring
- 2017: Kate Simpson
PR Outstanding Internship
Awarded to the student who best embodies the concept of engaged learning and the advancement of Public Relations through an internship.
- 2011: Gavin Gustafson
- 2012: Paul Keep
- 2013: Brandon Pollard
- 2014: Janessa McNeil
- 2015: Charlie Kaing
- 2016: Calvin Williams
On-campus friend of PRSSA
Awarded to a UVU employee who outstandingly advances the goals of the UVU PRSSA Chapter.
- 2011: Marissa King, Program Coordinator-Clubs/Organizations
- 2012: Sarah Roseborough, Clubs Office
- 2013: Natalie Shelley, Administrative Assistant, Communication Department\
- 2014: Courtney Burns, Administrative Assistant, Communication Department
- 2015: Marsha Haynes, Director Internship Services
- 2015: Kalea Lunt, UVU Clubs Office Coordinator
Community Friend of PRSSA
Awarded to a person outside of the UVU campus community who outstandingly advances and supports the UVU PRSSA Chapter.
- 2011: Cheryl Snapp Conner, Snapp Conner PR Firm
- 2012: Scott Lazerson
- 2013: Spencer Parkinson, PR Manager, Symantec
- 2014: Jeff DuBois, Vice President, Method Communications
- 2015: Jenna Cason, Public Relations Manager, Vivint
- 2016: McKenzie Haggard, Account Executive, Method Communications
UVU Full-time Faculty of the Year Award
Awarded to a full time faculty member who has done the most to advance the goals of the UVU PRSSA Chapter.
- 2011: David Scott
- 2012: Matthew Kushin
- 2013: Leslie Rasmussen
- 2014: Stephen Whyte
- 2015: Hank McIntire
- 2016: Farah Sanders
- 2017: Kim Hanson
Community Trailer Blazer Award
Awarded to a person who has championed the field of communication, elevated the profession, served as a mentor, and blazed the way in creating professional opportunities for others.
- 2011: Dr. Phil Gordon, Founder of the UVU Communication Department
- 2012: Vegor Pedersen, UVU PR Academic Adviser
- 2013: Susan Richards, UVU PRSSA Professional Adviser
- 2014: Pete Codella, VP of Alexander’s
- 2015: Holly Heffron, Community Relations, University of Phoenix
- 2016: Patrick Hernandez, Communications Manager, General Motors
- 2017: Keith Green, VP of Marketing & Commercial Sales, Guinness World Records