Erin Spurgeon talked with the PRSSA members at our opening social last week about the opportunities associated with being an active member of PRSSA. She did a great job and had many useful tips and insights. For those who weren't able to make it, below are highlights from her speech.
Opportunity of PRSSA: Leadership
- By participating in PRSSA activities and getting out of your comfort zone, you can shine as a leader in an organization that has big name recognition in the professional world.
Opportunity of PRSSA: Networking
- It's not just what you know, it's who you know.
- Your PRSSA chapter offers opportunities to mingle with people who can help you in your future career goals, or can help you learn ways to connect with those people.
- To build your network, create a relationship, keep up on that relationship, and always keep the door open with that relationship. Even if someone in your network doesn't offer you a job, they may know someone who will and can put in a good word for you.
Opportunity of PRSSA: Exposure
- By working with PRSSA, members can gain an understanding of practical application of what PR is, and what it isn't.
- Soak in as much information as you can from people with experience.
- The exposure you will receive associated with PRSSA will help you gain the ability to recognize opportunities, grow strategically, and achieve an exciting and professional life.
- Invest some time in professional development both within and beyond the scope of what you think you want to do.
Thank you for being a part of UVU's PRSSA chapter. We have an exciting year ahead full of opportunities for members.
Keep up with events, announcements, job/internship information, and other PR-related information by following UVU PRSSA on Twitter and Facebook (as well as this blog).