Networking’s Do’s and Don’ts
- Did you know that most networking begins through casual everyday conversations?
- Because of this do not be hesitant to strike up a conversation with the people you meet in your normal routine.
- You never know the connections you will make through networking. Someone you know may have an aunt or a brother or a colleague in your field.
The Importance Of The Right Approach
- Networking conversations can go bad quickly if the person can tell you are more interested in gaining information like contacts than learning from the experience of the person to whom you are speaking.·
- It is important to be respectful and remember that you have much to learn from each person you meet.
- You may wonder what now? What do I do now that I have made connections?
- If interested in a position you may wish to ask for an information meeting.
- You can use the information interview as an opportunity to gather information and seek advice, not to ask outright for an internship or employment opportunity.
- Remember that it is often appropriate to ask the person you speak with for advice on ways you might pursue employment or internship opportunities in your field of interest and give specifics about your search.
o Using this network advice can help you find a job or future career that will be a good fit for you. Remember to build connections and do not pass up opportunities that come your way. "I have always worked while being in school and all of my jobs I have had while in school have been because of networking.
"I have had some amazing experiences through networking and have been able to get really get jobs that paid of my treatments and allow me to own my own Condo. "