Students Win Best of Show and Special Events Categories Against Professionals
OREM, UTAH - November 17, 2017 - The Utah Valley University Public Relations Student Society of America (UVU PRSSA) chapter wins two state-wide awards for the 2017 “PR Elevated” Regional Conference entries in the categories of Special Events for Government Nonprofit & Associations and Best of Show at the 2017 annual Golden Spike Awards gala in South Jordan, UT on Nov. 16, 2017. The competition recognizes excellence and best practices in public relations and business communications in Utah. Professionals and students are not separated in judging; they compete on equal ground. Judges select winning entries and award Golden Spikes based on scores in the categories of research, planning, execution and evaluation.
More about UVU PRSSA “PR Elevated” Regional Conference, visit: www.facebook.com/PRElevated/
The Golden Spike Awards competition is an annual program sponsored by the Utah chapters of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) Utah chapter and the Utah Society for Healthcare Communication and Marketing (USHCAM).
UVU PRSSA hosted a regional conference for the western region of PRSSA national chapters on March 2-4, 2017, named “PR Elevated.” The conference mission was to provide a superior 2017 Regional Conference that: enhances education, broadens networks and helps launch careers for all who take part #PRElevated. These three objectives were accomplished in the following ways:
• Education Enhanced. A broad range of information was given through the various speakers brought into the conference. Brand-building, government relations, networking skills, food industry communication, airline industry communication, event planning and more PR-relevant topics were discussed.
• Networks Broadened. PR Elevated hosted over 300 attendees, the largest attendance of any regional conference in the nation for 2017; PRSSA students, professionals and high school students from Utah, Idaho, California and Washington, D.C. attended the conference. Professional networking opportunities, as well as informal social activities were held to give participants time to connect.
• Careers Launched. Conference participants learned from and engaged with professionals from Guinness World Records, Southwest Airlines, Sutherland Institute, NUVI, Edelman, CNN, Taco Bell world headquarters, Utah Jazz, The Tyler Robinson Foundation and PRSA National. The relationships built have and will continue to launch students into future careers.
"I was extremely excited to find out we were a finalist for our category, I was even more excited when we won our category. But winning Best in Show was the cherry on top! We worked so hard on the conference and it was so special to see that hard work recognized amongst PR professionals,” Wade Draper, current UVU PRSSA chapter president and regional conference planner, said.
“My involvement in PR Elevated brought me some of the greatest memories of my college career. I grew exponentially - both personally and professionally - from the experience,” Britnee Bromley-Neuhring, 2016-2017 UVU PRSSA chapter president, said.
● Website: http://www.uvuprssa.org/
● Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/uvuprssa
● Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/uvuprssa
● Twitter: http://twitter.com/UVUPRSSA
About UVU PRSSA
UVU’s chapter of PRSSA was established in October of 2009. In a short eight years, their chapter has more than 140 active students within the university and has received local, state and national recognition. In 2013 and 2016, they had received the National Outstanding Chapter award. In addition to holding monthly professional development activities and programs, UVU PRSSA has now received six Golden Spike Awards, including Best of Show and Utah’sTop PR Industry award. UVU’s chapter of PRSSA is integrated within UVU and its surrounding communities through service projects and professional development excursions.
Vice President of Public Relations
Utah Valley University PRSSA
801-643-6821 | @mkatesimpson